Monday, March 1, 2010

Strange that the Beatles didn't explore strings from their own backyard

This is a Weber Aspen 2 Mandolin. It's a Celtic style. Very simple look but high quality parts and construction. It's the one I'll be saving up for.

Now back to the Beatles. They would explore Indian instruments like the Sitar but ignore the Mandolin. Why even Elvis or his producers used the Mandolin in "It's now or Never"...think that was the tune. It's a very nice sound. It's cheerful and full. Another aspect is the Mandolin has a medieval minstrel quality. The Beatles were often dubbed electric folk.

The heathen Rolling Stone held medieval instruments for an album cover. But it wasn't until very recently Paul McCartney picked up the instrument. Well I guess that means that since I am much younger than he I still have time.

I've always wanted a Mandolin. Not sure why Paul never picked one up. Perhaps he has a life?  He did try the Fugal Horn.

Just look at the Madolin....8 strings....chiming out...no ringing out.....it's the same scale as the violin. I tried that last summer for the first time....I thought it was fun. The small frets, neck and high tension make the Mandolin a difficult instrument to play but I think one would compliment my acoustic and classical guitars immensely.  Hopefully sales can increase so I can afford this beautiful $1600 instrument.

I can hear several Beatle songs in my head that would have welcomed the Mandolin....Girl, Here Comes the Sun, and others....it's not a bluegrass instrument exclusively.....it's also a classic...

No comments:

Post a Comment